History of Mountain Home
Seven miles northeast of town on Highway 20, the pavement meets the Oregon trail and the junction of the old Kelton-Boise Stage Road. The junction was a Pony Express stop known as Rattlesnake Station, formerly Mountain Home. In the 1870s, Commodore Jackson purchased the station at Rattlesnake Springs and used it as a ranch. When the Oregon Short Line Railroad arrived in 1883, Jackson moved south to a 160-acre homestead, a place that eventually developed into the city of Mountain Home. In 1891, the county seat was moved from the mountain mining community of Rocky Bar to this desert setting.